[no subject]

However, my immediate goal is to provide a generic way to increase
kernel thread memory on demand, specifically when needed. If certain
architectures are capable of in-kernel fault handling, they could
potentially leverage my framework to further enhance their dynamic
stack fault handling support.

> > > we will have other metrics that
> > > show the total number of pages allocated for stacks.
> >
> > Don't we already have a metric for that i.e. KernelStack in meminfo
> > which is in kB unit?

If we had true dynamic kernel stack support, then the metric in
meminfo would be enough to estimate the average stack size, it would
still not show the histogram of how large stacks get.

> > One more question: Is there any concern in making
> > CONFIG_DEBUG_STACK_USAGE not a debug feature i.e. enable in default
> > kernels instead of just debug kernels?

We enabled it in Google ProdKernel. There is some overhead when
threads are exiting, because we are looking for the first non-zero
byte, but that is minimal. We haven't observed any performance impact
on our fleet.

Pasha