Re: [syzbot] [kernel?] KASAN: stack-out-of-bounds Read in __show_regs (2)

On 2024/07/02 0:10, Andrey Konovalov wrote:
> This is weird, because if the metadata is 00, then the memory should
> be accessible and there should be no KASAN report.
>
> Which makes me believe you have some kind of a race in your patch (or
> there's a race in the kernel that your patch somehow exposes).

Yes, I consider that my patch is exposing an existing race, for I can't
find a race in my patch. (Since
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git/commit/?id=b96342141183ffa62bfed5998f9b808c84042322
calls get_task_struct() when recording in-use state, report_rtnl_holders()
can't trigger use-after-free even if the thread died. Also, since previous version
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git/commit/?id=5210cbe9a47fc5c1f43ba16d481e6335f3e2f345
synchronously calls synchronize_rcu() when clearing in-use state,
report_rtnl_holders() can't trigger use-after-free because the thread
can't die before calling put_rtnl_holder(). The variable "now" cannot be
0, and !cmpxchg(&rtnl_started[idx], 0, now) must serve as a serialization
lock when recording in-use state.)

>                                                                At
> least between the moment KASAN detected the issue and the moment the
> reporting procedure got to printing the memory state, the memory state
> changed.

Indeed, the exact line KASAN complained at varies suggests that the
memory state is modified by somebody else.

>          As this is stack memory that comes from a vmalloc allocation,
> I suspect the task whose stack had been at that location died, and
> something else got mapped there.

I consider that the task can't die while calling __show_regs() from
report_rtnl_holders().

> This is my best guess, I hope it's helpful.

Well, KASAN says "out-of-bounds". But the reported address

  BUG: KASAN: stack-out-of-bounds in __show_regs+0x172/0x610
  Read of size 8 at addr ffffc90003c4f798 by task kworker/u8:5/234

is within the kernel stack memory mapping

  The buggy address belongs to the virtual mapping at
   [ffffc90003c48000, ffffc90003c51000) created by:
   copy_process+0x5d1/0x3d7

. Why is this "out-of-bounds" ? What boundary did KASAN compare with?
Is this just a race of KASAN detecting a problem and KASAN reporting
that problem? (But as I explained above, it is unlikely that the thread
to be reported can die while processing report_rtnl_holders()...)