Re: MM global locks as core counts quadruple

Hello,

On Thu, Jun 20, 2024 at 05:35:45PM -0700, David Rientjes wrote:
> As core counts are rapidly expanding over the next four years, Namhyung
> and I were looking at global locks that we're already seeing high
> contention on even today.
>
> Some of these are not MM specific:
>  - cgroup_mutex

Our machines are getting bigger but we aren't creating and destroying
cgroups frequently enough for this to matter. But yeah, I can see how this
can be a problem.

>  - cgroup_threadgroup_rwsem

This one shouldn't matter at all in setups where new cgroups are populated
with CLONE_INTO_CGROUP and not migrated further. The lock isn't grabbed in
such usage pattern, which should be the vast majority already, I think. Are
you guys migrating tasks a lot or not using CLONE_INTO_CGROUP?

Thanks.

--
tejun