Re: MM global locks as core counts quadruple

On Fri, Jun 21, 2024 at 10:46:21AM +0800, Yafang Shao wrote:
> > This is only looking at fleet data for global static locks, not locks like
> > zone->lock that get dynamically allocated.
>
> We have encountered latency spikes caused by the zone->lock. Do we
> have any plans to eliminate this lock, such as implementing a lockless
> buddy list? I believe this could be a viable solution.

Lockless how?  I see three operations being performed on the buddy list:

 - Add to end (freeing)
 - Remove from end (allocation)
 - Remove from middle (buddy was freed, needs to be coalesced)

I don't see how we can handle this locklessly.

I think a more productive solution to contention on the LRU lock is to
increase the number of zones.  I don't think it's helpful to have a
1TB zone of memory.  Maybe we should limit each zone to 16GB or so.
That means we'd need to increase the number of zones we support, but
I think that's doable.