Re: + memory-hotplug-fix-kswapd-looping-forever-problem-fix-fix.patch added to -mm tree

Hello,

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 09:48:45AM +0900, Minchan Kim wrote:
> > Maybe trigger warning if some fields which have to be zero aren't?
>
> It's not good because this causes adding new WARNING in that part
> whenever we add new field in pgdat. It nullify this patch's goal.

Maybe just do that on some fields?  The goal is catching unlikely case
where archs leave the struct with garbage data.  I don't think full
coverage is an absolute requirement.  Or reorganize the fields such
that fields unused by boot code is collected at the top so that it can
be memset after certain offset?

But, really, given how the structure is used, I think we're better off
just making sure all archs clear them and maybe have a sanity check or
two just in case.  It's not like breakage on that front is gonna be
subtle.

Thanks.

--
tejun