Re: Unifying page table walkers

On Thu, Jun 06, 2024 at 12:30:44PM -0700, James Houghton wrote:
> Today the VM_HUGETLB flag tells the fault handler to call into
> hugetlb_fault() (there are many other special cases, but this one is
> probably the most important). How should faults on VMAs without
> VM_HUGETLB that map HugeTLB folios be handled? If you handle faults
> with the main mm fault handler without getting rid of hugetlb_fault(),
> I think you're basically implementing a second, more tmpfs-like
> hugetlbfs... right?
>
> I don't really have anything against this approach, but I think the
> decision was to reduce the number of special cases as much as we can
> first before attempting to rewrite hugetlbfs.
>
> Or maybe I've got something wrong and what you're asking doesn't
> logically end up at a hugetlbfs v2.

Right, so we ignore hugetlb_fault() and call into __handle_mm_fault().
Once there, we'll do:

        vmf.pud = pud_alloc(mm, p4d, address);
        if (pud_none(*vmf.pud) &&
            thp_vma_allowable_order(vma, vm_flags,
                                TVA_IN_PF | TVA_ENFORCE_SYSFS, PUD_ORDER)) {
                ret = create_huge_pud(&vmf);

which will call vma->vm_ops->huge_fault(vmf, PUD_ORDER);

So all we need to do is implement huge_fault in hugetlb_vm_ops.  I
don't think that's the same as creating a hugetlbfs2 because it's just
another entry point.  You can mmap() the same file both ways and it's
all cache coherent.