Re: kswapd0: page allocation failure: order:0, mode:0x820(GFP_ATOMIC), nodemask=(null),cpuset=/,mems_allowed=0 (Kernel v6.5.9, 32bit ppc)

On Thu, Jun 6, 2024 at 10:55 AM Yu Zhao <yuzhao@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 6, 2024 at 11:42 AM Yosry Ahmed <yosryahmed@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I just posted a patch to limit the number of zpools, with some
> > > theoretical background explained in the code comments. I believe that
> > > 2 * CPU linearly is sufficient to reduce contention, but the scale can
> > > be reduced further. All CPUs are trying to allocate/free zswap is
> > > unlikely to happen.
> > >  How many concurrent accesses were the original 32 zpools supposed to
> > > handle? I think it was for 16 cpu or more. or nr_cpus/4 would be
> > > enough?
> >
> > We use 32 zpools on machines with 100s of CPUs. Two zpools per CPU is
> > an overkill imo.
>
> Not to choose a camp; just a friendly note on why I strongly disagree
> with the N zpools per CPU approach:
> 1. It is fundamentally flawed to assume the system is linear;
> 2. Nonlinear systems usually have diminishing returns.
>
> For Google data centers, using nr_cpus as the scaling factor had long
> passed the acceptable ROI threshold. Per-CPU data, especially when
> compounded per memcg or even per process, is probably the number-one
> overhead in terms of DRAM efficiency.

100% agreed. If you look at option (b) above, I specifically called
out that scaling the number of zpools linearly with the number with
CPUs have diminishing returns :)