Re: [LSFMM] automating measuring memory fragmentation

On Wed, May 15, 2024 at 1:34 PM Luis Chamberlain <mcgrof@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> RFC to see if we have a breakout session today at LSFMM.
>
> After the TAO talk today it occurred to me that it might make sense
> to review how we're measuring memory fragmentation today. We're looking
> to add automation support into kdevops for this to help compare and
> contrast memory fragmentation behaviour with one kernel against another.
> A while ago, while mTHP was being evaluated I asked genearlly how we
> could measure fragmentation with a simple one value, and John Hubbard
> had one recommendation [0], working that proved we could simplify things
> [1] but we also could just use the existing fragmentation index and only
> consider the values where this is concerned for fragmentation and not
> lack of memory. It begs the question of how folks are measuring memory
> fragmentation today in production, and if they have any desirable
> changes. The first approach being considered is to reproduce the
> workloads Mel Gorman had written and used for mmtests and leverage those
> on kdevops, perhaps modernize them, but before we do so it seems
> reviewing how we measure fragmentation today might be useful to others
> too.
>
> As for mmtests integration into kdevops, first order of business are
> just a few distro-friendly updates [2], for the next steps after that
> though it would be great to review the above.
>
> [0] https://lore.kernel.org/all/5ac6a387-0ca7-45ca-bebc-c3bdd48452cb@xxxxxxxxxx/T/#u
> [1] https://lkml.kernel.org/r/20240314005710.2964798-1-mcgrof@xxxxxxxxxx
> [2] https://lore.kernel.org/kdevops/20240319044621.2682968-1-mcgrof@xxxxxxxxxx/

Please correct me if I'm wrong -- I don't think we can use a single
measure to describe fragmentation in an actionable way.

IMO, we would need at least multiple values, e.g., fragmentation index
for each non-zero order, to describe how fragmented the memory is with
respect to the order of interest. Of course we could encode multiple
fragmentation indices into a single value, but that's not really one
measure.

Fragmentation index of an order can tell whether reclaim+compaction
can theoretically result in a free area of that order. As an average,
fragmentation index can't tell which actionable unit area, e.g.,
pageblock, would be the best candidate for reclaim and/or compaction.
That would require a ranking model, e.g., a cost function and weights
for reclaim and compaction operations, and calculations of the cost to
produce a free area of a requested order for each pageblock, i.e., a
2-dimensional measure
costs_to_produce_free_area[NR_non_zero_orders][NR_pageblocks].