[Resend LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] A case of a CXL compressed memory tier

Resending this from my private email to make sure it conforms with the
mailing list etiquette.

Hello all,

This is almost literally last minute and the work itself is only
getting started. But since I'm virtually attending, I thought to give
it a shot in case it is of interest.

Background: at ZeroPoint Technologies we are developing inline memory
compression IP. Currently we are focusing on CXL type 3 devices
(memory expanders), effectively introducing a compressed memory tier
(i.e. fulfilling the OCP specification "Hyperscale CXL Tiered Memory
Expander Specification”).

To utilize the memory saved due to compression, we oversubscribe the
Device Physical Address Space (DPA) in addition to some custom .io
interfaces. If there is interest, I would be glad to present these
APIs and how the host's point of view changes compared to a "typical"
memory tiering system. The goal would be to get some early feedback
and direction for our upstream driver development, before we start
pushing the first RFCs.

Best regards,
Yiannis Nikolakopoulos