[LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] CXL Development Discussions

Hello all,

I would like to have a discussion with the CXL development community about
current outstanding issues and also invite developers interested in RAS and
memory tiering to participate.

The first topic I believe we should discuss is how we can ensure as a group
that we are prioritizing upstream work. On a recent upstream CXL development
discussion call there was a call to review more work. I apologize for not
grabbing the link, but I believe Dave Jiang is leveraging patchwork and this
link should be shared with others so we can help get more reviews where needed.

The second topic I would like to discuss is how we integrate RAS features that
have similar equivalents in the kernel. A CXL device can provide info about
memory media errors in a similar fashion to memory controllers that have EDAC
support. Discussions have been put on the list and I would like to hear thoughts
from the community about where this should go [1]. On the same topic CXL has
port level RAS features and the PCIe DW series touched on this issue  [2]

The third topic I would like to discuss is how we can get a set of common
benchmarks for memory tiering evaluations. Our team has done some initial
work in this space, but we want to hear more from end users about their
workloads of concern. There was a proposal related to this topic, but from what
I understand no meeting has been held [3].

The last topic that I believe is worth discussion is how do we come up with
a baseline for testing. I am aware of 3 efforts that could be used cxl_test,
qemu, and uunit testing framework [4].

Apologies for getting this out late, and please include anyone that may be
interested in joining a discussion.

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-cxl/20240417075053.3273543-1-ruansy.fnst@xxxxxxxxxxx/
[2] https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20231130115044.53512-1-shradha.t@xxxxxxxxxxx/
[3] https://lore.kernel.org/all/2b29dd3d-bb2c-6a8c-94d2-d5c2e035516a@xxxxxxxxxx