Re: [RFC v2 0/3] iommu/intel: Free empty page tables on unmaps

On 26.04.24 15:49, Pasha Tatashin wrote:
On Fri, Apr 26, 2024 at 2:42 AM David Hildenbrand <david@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 26.04.24 05:43, Pasha Tatashin wrote:
Changelog
v2: Use mapcount instead of refcount
      Synchronized with IOMMU Observability changes.

This series frees empty page tables on unmaps. It intends to be a
low overhead feature.

The read-writer lock is used to synchronize page table, but most of
time the lock is held is reader. It is held as a writer for short
period of time when unmapping a page that is bigger than the current
iova request. For all other cases this lock is read-only.

page->mapcount is used in order to track number of entries at each page
table.

I'm wondering if this will conflict with page_type at some point? We're
already converting other page table users to ptdesc. CCing Willy.

Hi David,

Hi!

This contradicts with the following comment in mm_types.h:
  * If your page will not be mapped to userspace, you can also use the four
  * bytes in the mapcount union, but you must call
page_mapcount_reset()
  * before freeing it.

I think the documentation is a bit outdated, because we now have page types that are: "For pages that are never mapped to userspace"

which includes

#define PG_table

(we should update that comment, because we're now also using it for hugetlb that can be mapped to user space, which is fine.)

Right now, using page->_mapcount would likely still be fine, as long as you cannot end up creating a value that would resemble a type (e.g., PG_offline could be bad).

But staring at users of _mapcount and page_mapcount_reset() ... you'd be pretty much the only user of that.

mm/zsmalloc.c calls page_mapcount_reset(), and I am not completely sure why ... I can see it touch page->index but not page->_mapcount.

Hopefully Willy can comment.

--
Cheers,

David / dhildenb