Re: [Lsf-pc] [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] Swap Abstraction "the pony"

On Fri 08-03-24 10:02:20, Chuanhua Han wrote:

> 在 2024/3/7 22:03, Jan Kara 写道:
> > On Thu 07-03-24 15:56:57, Chuanhua Han via Lsf-pc wrote:
> >> 在 2024/3/1 17:24, Chris Li 写道:

> >> I have an idea here😁
> >>
> >> Each swap device is divided into multiple chunks, and each chunk is
> >> allocated to meet each order allocation
> >> (order indicates the order of swapout's folio, and each chunk is used
> >> for only one order).
> >> This can solve the fragmentation problem, which is much simpler than
> >> buddy, easier to implement,
> >>  and can be compatible with multiple sizes, similar to small slab allocator.
> >>
> >> 1) Add structure members
> >> In the swap_info_struct structure, we only need to add the offset array
> >> representing the offset of each order search.
> >> eg:
> >>
> >> #define MTHP_NR_ORDER 9
> >>
> >> struct swap_info_struct {
> >>     long order_off[MTHP_NR_ORDER];
> >> };
> >>
> >> Note: order_off = -1 indicates that this order is not supported.
> >>
> >> 2) Initialize
> >> Set the proportion of swap device occupied by each order.
> >> For the sake of simplicity, there are 8 kinds of orders.
> >> Number of slots occupied by each order: chunk_size = 1/8 * maxpages
> >> (maxpages indicates the maximum number of available slots in the current
> >> swap device)
> > Well, but then if you fill in space of a particular order and need to swap
> > out a page of that order what do you do? Return ENOSPC prematurely?
> If we swapout a subpage of large folio(due to a split in large folio),
> Simply search for a free swap entry from order_off[0].

I meant what are you going to do if you want to swapout 2MB huge page but
you don't have any free swap entry of the appropriate order? History shows
that these schemes where you partition available space into buckets of
pages of different order tends to fragment rather quickly so you need to
also implement some defragmentation / compaction scheme and once you do
that you are at the complexity of a standard filesystem block allocator.
That is all I wanted to point at :)

								Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxxx>