Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] Address Space Isolation

On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 10:57:21 +0100
Brendan Jackman <jackmanb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Address Space Isolation (ASI) is a technique to mitigate broad classes
> of CPU vulnerabilities.
>
> ASI logically separates memory into “sensitive” and “nonsensitive”,
> the former is memory that may contain secrets and the latter is memory
> that, though it might be owned by a privileged component, we don’t
> actually care about leaking. The core aim is to execute comprehensive
> mitigations for protecting sensitive memory, while avoiding the cost
> of protected nonsensitive memory. This is implemented by creating
> another “restricted” address space for the kernel, in which sensitive
> data is not mapped.
>
> The implementation contains two broad areas of functionality:
>
> ::Sensitivity tracking:: provides mechanisms to determine which data
> is sensitive and keep the restricted address space page tables
> up-to-date. At present this is done by adding new allocator flags
> which allocation sites use to annotate data whenever its sensitivity
> differs from the default.
>
> The definition of “sensitive” memory isn’t a topic we’ve fully
> explored yet - it’s possible that this will vary from any given
> deployment to the next. The framework is implemented so that any given
> allocation can have an arbitrary sensitivity setting.
>
> What is “sensitive” is in reality of course contextual. User data is
> sensitive in the general sense, but we don’t really care if a user is
> able to leak _its own_ data via CPU bugs. In one implementation we
> divide “nonsensitive” data into “global” and “local” nonsensitive.
> Local-nonsensitive data is mapped into the restricted address space of
> the entity (process/KVM guest) that it belongs to. This adds quite a
> lot of complexity, so at present we’re working without
> local-nonsensitivity support - if we can achieve all the security
> coverage we want with acceptable performance then this will be big
> maintainability win.
>
> The biggest challenge we’ve faced so far in sensitivity tracking is
> that transitioning memory from nonsensitive to sensitive requires
> flushing the TLB. Aside from the performance impact, this cannot be
> done with IRQs disabled. The simple workaround for this is to keep all
> free pages unmapped from the restricted address space (so that they
> can be allocated with any sensitivity without a TLB flush), and
> process freeing of nonsensitive pages (requiring a TLB flush under
> this simple scheme) via an asynchronous worker. This creates lots of
> unnecessary TLB flushes, but perhaps worse it can create artificial
> OOM conditions as pages are stranded on the asynchronous worker’s
> queue.
>
> ::Sandboxing:: is the logic that switches between address spaces and
> executes actual mitigations. Before running untrusted code, i.e.
> userspace processes and KVM guests, the kernel enters the restricted
> address space. If a later kernel entry accesses sensitive data - as
> [...]

Hello and welcome! I ran into a similar challenge with SandBox Mode. My
solution was to run sandbox code with CPL=3 (on x86) and control page
access with the U/S PTE bit rather than the P bit, which allowed me to
implement lazy TLB invalidation. The x86 folks didn't like idea...

For the record, SandBox Mode was designed with confidentiality in mind,
although the initial patch series left out this part for simplicity. I
wonder if your objective is to protect kernel data from user space, or
if you have also considered decomposing the kernel into components that
are isolated from each other (and then it we could potentially find
some synergies).

Petr T