Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] Swap Abstraction "the pony"

On Mon, Mar 4, 2024 at 10:44 AM Kairui Song <ryncsn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > The introduction of swapping different order of pages will further
> > complicate the swap entry fragmentation issue. The swap back end has
> > no way to predict the life cycle of the swap entries. Repeat allocate
> > and free swap entry of different sizes will fragment the swap entries
> > array. If we can’t allocate the contiguous swap entry for a mTHP, it
> > will have to split the mTHP to a smaller size to perform the swap in
> > and out. T
> >
> > Current swap only supports 4K pages or pmd size pages. When adding the
> > other in between sizes, it greatly increases the chance of fragmenting
> > the swap entry space. When no more continuous swap swap entry for
> > mTHP, it will force the mTHP split into 4K pages. If we don’t solve
> > the fragmentation issue. It will be a constant source of splitting the
> > mTHP.
> >
> > Another limitation I would like to address is that swap_writepage can
> > only write out IO in one contiguous chunk, not able to perform
> > non-continuous IO. When the swapfile is close to full, it is likely
> > the unused entry will spread across different locations. It would be
> > nice to be able to read and write large folio using discontiguous disk
> > IO locations.
> >
> > Some possible ideas for the fragmentation issue.
> >
> > a) buddy allocator for swap entities. Similar to the buddy allocator
> > in memory. We can use a buddy allocator system for the swap entry to
> > avoid the low order swap entry fragment too much of the high order
> > swap entry. It should greatly reduce the fragmentation caused by
> > allocate and free of the swap entry of different sizes. However the
> > buddy allocator has its own limit as well. Unlike system memory, we
> > can move and compact the memory. There is no rmap for swap entry, it
> > is much harder to move a swap entry to another disk location. So the
> > buddy allocator for swap will help, but not solve all the
> > fragmentation issues.
> >
> > b) Large swap entries. Take file as an example, a file on the file
> > system can write to a discontinuous disk location. The file system
> > responsible for tracking how to map the file offset into disk
> > location. A large swap entry can have a similar indirection array map
> > out the disk location for different subpages within a folio.  This
> > allows a large folio to write out dis-continguos swap entries on the
> > swap file. The array will need to store somewhere as part of the
> > overhead.When allocating swap entries for the folio, we can allocate a
> > batch of smaller 4k swap entries into an array. Use this array to
> > read/write the large folio. There will be a lot of plumbing work to
> > get it to work.
> >
> > Solution a) and b) can work together as well. Only use b) if not able
> > to allocate swap entries from a).
>
> Despite the limitation, I think a) is a better approach. non-sequel
> read/write is very performance unfriendly even for ZRAM, so it will be
> better if the data is continuous in both RAM and SWAP.

Why is it so unfriendly with ZRAM?

I'm surprised to hear that.  Even with NVMe SSD's (controversial take
here) the penalty for non-sequential writes, if batched, is not
necessarily significant, you need other factors to be in play in the
drive state/usage.

> And if not, something like VMA readahead can already help improve
> performance. But we have seen this have a negative impact with fast
> devices like ZRAM so it's disabled in the current kernel.
>
> Migration of swap entries is a good thing to have, but the migration
> cost seems too high... I don't have a better idea on this.

One of my issues with the arch IIRC is that though it's called
swap_type/swap_offset in the PTE, that it's functionally
swap_partition/swap_offset.  The consequence being there is no
practical way to for example migrate swapped pages from one swap
backend to another.  Instead we awkwardly do these sort of things
inside the backend.

I need to look at the swap cache xarray (pointer to where to start
would be welcome).  Would it be feasible to enable a redirection
there?