Re: Re: folio_mmapped

On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 07:01:51PM +0000, Fuad Tabba wrote:
> Hi David,

> > >   (> > > access" sounds reasonable to me. If you don't play by the rules, you get a

> > > I had not considered that. That would most certainly be slow, but a well
> > > behaved userspace process shouldn't hit it so, that's probably not a
> > > problem...
> >
> > If there really only is a single VMA that covers the page (or even mmaps
> > the guest_memfd), it should not be too bad. For example, any
> > fallocate(PUNCHHOLE) has to do the same, to unmap the page before
> > discarding it from the pagecache.
>
> I don't think that we can assume that only a single VMA covers a page.
>
> > But of course, no rmap walk is always better.
>
> We've been thinking some more about how to handle the case where the
> host userspace has a mapping of a page that later becomes private.
>
> One idea is to refuse to run the guest (i.e., exit vcpu_run() to back
> to the host with a meaningful exit reason) until the host unmaps that
> page, and check for the refcount to the page as you mentioned earlier.
> This is essentially what the RFC I sent does (minus the bugs :) ) .
>
> The other idea is to use the rmap walk as you suggested to zap that
> page. If the host tries to access that page again, it would get a
> SIGBUS on the fault. This has the advantage that, as you'd mentioned,
> the host doesn't need to constantly mmap() and munmap() pages. It
> could potentially be optimised further as suggested if we have a
> cooperating VMM that would issue a MADV_DONTNEED or something like
> that, but that's just an optimisation and we would still need to have
> the option of the rmap walk. However, I was wondering how practical
> this idea would be if more than a single VMA covers a page?

Agree with all your points here. I changed Gunyah's implementation to do
the unmap instead of erroring out. I didn't observe a significant
performance difference. However, doing unmap might be a little faster
because we can check folio_mapped() before doing the rmap walk. When
erroring out at mmap() level, we always have to do the walk.

> Also, there's the question of what to do if the page is gupped? In
> this case I think the only thing we can do is refuse to run the guest
> until the gup (and all references) are released, which also brings us
> back to the way things (kind of) are...

If there are gup users who don't do FOLL_PIN, I think we either need to
fix them or live with possibility here? We don't have a reliable
refcount for a folio to be safe to unmap: it might be that another vCPU
is trying to get the same page, has incremented the refcount, and
waiting for the folio_lock. This problem exists whether we block the
mmap() or do SIGBUS.

Thanks,
Elliot