Re: [Lsf-pc] [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] Measuring limits and enhancing buffered IO

On Wed, Feb 28, 2024 at 12:42 AM Dave Chinner via Lsf-pc
<lsf-pc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 27, 2024 at 05:21:20PM -0500, Kent Overstreet wrote:
> > >
> > > We could do concurrent buffered writes in XFS - we would just use
> > > the same locking strategy as direct IO and fall back on folio locks
> > > for copy-in exclusion like ext4 does.
> >
> > ext4 code doesn't do that. it takes the inode lock in exclusive mode,
> > just like everyone else.
>
> Uhuh. ext4 does allow concurrent DIO writes. It's just much more
> constrained than XFS. See ext4_dio_write_checks().
>
> > > The real question is how much of userspace will that break, because
> > > of implicit assumptions that the kernel has always serialised
> > > buffered writes?
> >
> > What would break?
>
> Good question. If you don't know the answer, then you've got the
> same problem as I have. i.e. we don't know if concurrent
> applications that use buffered IO extensively (eg. postgres) assume
> data coherency because of the implicit serialisation occurring
> during buffered IO writes?

> > > As soon as we go for concurrent writes, we give up on any concept of
> > > atomicity of buffered writes (esp. w.r.t reads), so this really
> > > doesn't matter at all.
> >
> > We've already given up buffered write vs. read atomicity, have for a
> > long time - buffered read path takes no locks.
>
> We still have explicit buffered read() vs buffered write() atomicity
> in XFS via buffered reads taking the inode lock shared (see
> xfs_file_buffered_read()) because that's what POSIX says we should
> have.
>
> Essentially, we need to explicitly give POSIX the big finger and
> state that there are no atomicity guarantees given for write() calls
> of any size, nor are there any guarantees for data coherency for
> any overlapping concurrent buffered IO operations.

I have disabled read vs. write atomicity (out-of-tree) to make xfs behave
as the other fs ever since Jan has added the invalidate_lock and I believe
that Meta kernel has done that way before.

> Those are things we haven't completely given up yet w.r.t. buffered
> IO, and enabling concurrent buffered writes will expose to users.
> So we need to have explicit policies for this and document them
> clearly in all the places that application developers might look
> for behavioural hints.

That's doable - I can try to do that.
What is your take regarding opt-in/opt-out of legacy behavior?
At the time, I have proposed POSIX_FADV_TORN_RW API [1]
to opt-out of the legacy POSIX behavior, but I guess that an xfs mount
option would make more sense for consistent and clear semantics across
the fs - it is easier if all buffered IO to inode behaved the same way.

Thanks,
Amir.

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-xfs/CAOQ4uxguwnx4AxXqp_zjg39ZUaTGJEM2wNUPnNdtiqV2Q9woqA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/