Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] Measuring limits and enhancing buffered IO

On Sat, 24 Feb 2024 at 10:20, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If somebody really cares about this kind of load, and cannot use
> O_DIRECT for some reason ("I actually do want caches 99% of the
> time"), I suspect the solution is to have some slightly gentler way to
> say "instead of the throttling logic, I want you to start my writeouts
> much more synchronously".
>
> IOW, we could have a writer flag that still uses the page cache, but
> that instead of that
>
>                 balance_dirty_pages_ratelimited(mapping);

I was *sure* we had had some work in this area, and yup, there's a
series from 2019 by Konstantin Khlebnikov to implement write-behind.

Some digging in the lore archives found this

    https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/156896493723.4334.13340481207144634918.stgit@buzz/

but I don't remember what then happened to it.  It clearly never went
anywhere, although I think something _like_ that is quite possibly the
right thing to do (and I was fairly positive about the patch at the
time).

I have this feeling that there's been other attempts of write-behind
in this area, but that thread was the only one I found from my quick
search.

I'm not saying Konstanti's patch is the thing to do, and I suspect we
might want to actually have some way for people to say at open-time
that "I want write-behind", but it looks like at least a starting
point.

But it is possible that this work never went anywhere exactly because
this is such a rare case. That kind of "write so much that you want to
do something special" is often such a special thing that using
O_DIRECT is generally the trivial solution.

                   Linus