folio_mmapped

On Thu, Feb 22, 2024 at 03:43:56PM -0800, Elliot Berman wrote:
> > This creates the situation where access to successfully mmap()'d
> > memory might SIGBUS at page fault. There is precedence for
> > similar behavior in the kernel I believe, with MADV_HWPOISON and
> > the hugetlbfs cgroups controller, which could SIGBUS at page
> > fault time depending on the accounting limit.
>
> I added a test: folio_mmapped() [1] which checks if there's a vma
> covering the corresponding offset into the guest_memfd. I use this
> test before trying to make page private to guest and I've been able to
> ensure that userspace can't even mmap() private guest memory. If I try
> to make memory private, I can test that it's not mmapped and not allow
> memory to become private. In my testing so far, this is enough to
> prevent SIGBUS from happening.
>
> This test probably should be moved outside Gunyah specific code, and was
> looking for maintainer to suggest the right home for it :)
>
> [1]: https://lore.kernel.org/all/20240222-gunyah-v17-20-1e9da6763d38@xxxxxxxxxxx/

You, um, might have wanted to send an email to linux-mm, not bury it in
the middle of a series of 35 patches?

So this isn't folio_mapped() because you're interested if anyone _could_
fault this page, not whether the folio is currently present in anyone's
page tables.

It's like walk_page_mapping() but with a trivial mm_walk_ops; not sure
it's worth the effort to use walk_page_mapping(), but I would defer to
David.