Re: swapaccount= commandline option

El 12/2/24 a les 23:37, Yosry Ahmed ha escrit:
On Sun, Feb 11, 2024 at 1:33 AM Narcis Garcia <debianlists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,

I read this warning on Linux 6.1 boot:
The swapaccount= commandline option is deprecated. Please report your
usecase to linux-mm@xxxxxxxxx if you depend on this functionality.

And I want to know if this impacts on LinuX Containers (LXC) swap
accounting.

swapaccount= was deprecated in the sense that it is always on now
(i.e. you cannot do swapaccount=0 anymore). I believe you are using
swapaccount=1 and want to make sure that swap accounting will still
work with v6.1, right?

This is the second question we have had about this message [1]. I
think we need to clarify the warning (and perhaps backport to stable
kernels).

[1]https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/2593755.Xrv9ptJ69j@sinistra.local/

Thank you for answering this question, and sure this clarification is needed both in documentation and warning message.
I've found deprecation message was commited on 26 Sep 2022.
From what Linux version release, this deprecation is included?

I suggest this for setup_swap_account() code:
pr_warn_once("The swapaccount= commandline option is deprecated. "
	"Swap accounting is always on. "
	"Please report your usecase to linux-mm@xxxxxxxxx if you "
	"depend on this functionality.\n");

--

Narcis Garcia

I'm using this dedicated address because personal addresses aren't masked enough at this mail public archive. Public archive administrator should remove and omit any @, dot and mailto combinations against automated addresses collectors.