Re: [RFC] Memory tiering kernel alignment

On Fri, Jan 26, 2024 at 01:06:25PM -0800, Christoph Lameter (Ampere) wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jan 2024, David Rientjes wrote:
>
> > My dream world would be where we could discuss various use cases for
> > locally attached CXL memory and determine, as a group, what the shared,
> > comprehensive "Linux vision" for it is and do so before LSF/MM/BPF.  In a
> > perfect world, we could block out an expanded MM session in Salt Lake City
> > to bring all these concepts together, what approaches sound reasonable vs
> > unreasonable, and leave that conference with a clear understanding of what
> > needs to happen.
>
> I thought the main use of CXL is as a standardized interconnect. We finally
> can link up heterogeneous systems with various types of nodes in larger
> system configuration. As such it could contain processor nodes, memory nodes
> and i/o nodes and allow the setup of powerful systems with large address
> spaces, coprocessors, diverse types of processing etc etc.

if you ask 30 people what the "main use" of CXL is/will be, you will get
30 different answers.  We should not try to solve world peace here.

That starts with defining scope, and I think topological details should
be extremely limited for a general tiering system. Otherwise we're
inviting serious trouble.