Re: [patch] mm, oom: replace some information in tasklist dump

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012, KOSAKI Motohiro wrote:

> >> No worth to make fragile ABI. Do you have any benefit?
> >>

> > Yes, because this is exactly where we would discover something like a
> > mm->nr_ptes accounting issue since it would result in an oom kill and we'd
> > notice the mismatch between nr_ptes and rss in the tasklist dump.
>
> Below patch is better, then. tasklist dump should show brief summary and
> final killed process output should show most detail info. And, now all of
> get_mm_rss() callsite got consistent.

No, it's not.

Your patch is factoring ptes into get_mm_rss() throughout the kernel, my
patch is showing get_mm_rss() and nr_ptes in the oom killer tasklist dump
since they are both (currently) factored in seperately.  They are two
functionally different changes.

If you want to factor ptes into get_mm_rss() and make that change
throughout the kernel, then you should patch linux-next which includes my
oom patch, write an actual changelog for why ptes should now be included
in get_mm_rss() -- which I'll nack because it significantly changes
/proc/pid/stat output for applications between kernel versions that we
depend very heavily on -- and propose it seperately.

Thanks.