Re: [RFC 0/2] kasan: introduce mem track feature

On Thu, Jan 18, 2024 at 3:30 PM <lizhe.67@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes I am trying to add custom poison/unpoison functions which can monitor
> memory in a fine-grained manner, and not affect the original functionality
> of kasan. For example, for a 100-byte variable, I may only want to monitor
> certain two bytes (byte 3 and 4) in it. According to my understanding,
> kasan_poison/unpoison() can not detect the middle bytes individually. So I
> don't think function kasan_poison/unpoison() can do what I want.

I'm not sure this type of tracking belongs within KASAN.

If there are only a few locations you want to monitor, perhaps a
separate tools based on watchpoints would make more sense?

Another alternative is to base this functionality on KMSAN: it already
allows for bit-level precision. Plus, it would allow to only report
when the marked memory is actually being used, not when it's just
being copied. Perhaps Alexander can comment on whether this makes
sense.

If we decide to add this to KASAN or KMSAN, we need to least also add
some in-tree users to demonstrate the functionality. And it would be
great to find some bugs with it, but perhaps syzbot will be able to
take care of that.

Thank you!