Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] Dropping page cache of individual fs

Matthew Wilcox <willy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> We have numerous ways to intercept file reads and make them either
> block or fail.  The obvious one to me is security_file_permission()
> called from rw_verify_area().  Can we do everything we need with an LSM?

I like the idea.  That runs when someone opens a file right?  What about
if they already had the file open or mapped before the volume was
locked?  If not, is that OK?  Are we just trying to deny open requests
of files while the volume is locked?

Is that in addition to, or instead of throwing out the key and
suspending IO at the block layer?  If it is in addition, then that would
mean that trying to open a file would fail cleanly, but accessing a page
that is already mapped could hang the task.  In an unkillable state.
For a long time.  Even the OOM killer can't kill a task blocked like
that can it?  Or did that get fixed at some point?