Re: Limited/Broken functionality of ASLR for Libs >= 2MB

On Mon, Jan 15, 2024 at 07:21:19PM +0100, mail@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Am 15.01.2024 17:52, schrieb Matthew Wilcox:

> > > See also https://bugs.debian.org/1024149. Unfortunately, I don't
> > > think the issue found its way upstream until now (thanks).
> > >
> > > CCing relevant maintainers (per the Debian bug).
> >
> > You know, my email address is all over that commit and the doofus who
> > "discovered the vulnerability" didn't even have the courtesy to let
> > me know.  I've had several private emails about this over the last few
> > days and I just don't care.  Who's running 32-bit code and cares about
> > security?  32-bit kernels are known-vulnerable to all kinds of security
> > problems, and I think this is the least of your worries.
> >
> > This was intended to happen, it's not a surprise.
>
> Hi,
> first of all I am very sorry, I didn't realize I should have contacted you
> first (I'm not the one who found the bug initially), I will do it
> differently in the future.

I'm not annoyed *at you*.  I'm annoyed at the guy who first "discovered"
it.  I'm annoyed at the people who are running around with their hair
on fire.  I'm annoyed at all the people who *didn't* contact me.

> Unfortunately, my knowledge is not sufficient to judge how bad it is that
> 32bit effectively has no ASLR support anymore.
>
> 64bit is also affected, even though there are probably more than enough
> bits left there? I have since seen that both Arch and Ubuntu seem to have
> "patches" in place (https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/packaging/packages/linux/-/commit/3904bcb32cc58c10232fb618bf96c1b43b0bc9d7)
> in which they set the `CONFIG_ARCH_MMAP_RND_BITS=32` and
> `CONFIG_ARCH_MMAP_RND_COMPAT_BITS=16`, I'm not sure if this is a good
> result or if it will cause other problems.

Yeah, I don't know either.  Outside my scope of expertise.

I received a suggestion off-list that we only do the PMD alignment on
64-bit, which seems quite reasonable to me.  After all, I don't care
about performance on 32-bit just as much as I don't care about security
on 32-bit.