Re: Mixed page compact code and (higher order) folios for filemap

On Fri, Nov 17, 2023 at 09:10:10AM +1030, Qu Wenruo wrote:
> On 2023/11/17 00:53, Matthew Wilcox wrote:

> > > That would be great. The biggest problem I'm hitting so far is the page
> > > cache for metadata.
> > >
> > > We're using __GFP_NOFAIL for the current per-page allocation, but IIRC
> > > __GFP_NOFAIL is ignored for higher order (>2 ?) folio allocation.
> > > And we may want that per-page allocation as the last resort effort
> > > allocation anyway.
> > >
> > > Thus I'm checking if there is something we can do here.
> > >
> > > But I guess we can always go folio_private() instead as a workaround for
> > > now?
> >
> > I don't understand enough about what you're doing to offer useful
> > advice.  Is this for bs>PS or is it arbitrary large folios for better
> > performance?  If the latter, you can always fall back to order-0 folios.
> > If the former, well, we need to adjust a few things anyway to handle
> > filesystems with a minimum order ...
> >
> > In general, you should be using folio_private().  page->private and
> > page_private() will be removed eventually.
>
> Just another question.
>
> What about flags like PageDirty? Are they synced with folio?

Yes.  You can SetPageDirty() in one function and then folio_test_dirty()
in another.  Eventually all the PageFoo() functions will be removed,
except PageHWPoison and PageAnonExclusive.

> The declaration goes PF_HEAD for policy, thus for order 0 it makes no
> difference, but for higher order folios, we should switch to pure folio
> based operations other than mixing page and folios?

Every function in btrfs should be folio based.  There should be nothing
in btrfs that deals with pages.  Take a look at iomap's buffered I/O
paths for hints -- there's a per-block dirty and uptodate bit, but other
than that, everything is done with folios.