Re: Removal of KM_NOFS

On Fri, Sep 29, 2023 at 11:18:19PM +0100, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> I had a long plane ride yesterday, and I started on "Removing GFP_NOFS".
> TLDR: I don't know enough about XFS to do this first step.  There are
> various options and none of them are "obviously" the right thing to do.
>
> The overall intent is to get rid of the __GFP_FS flag entirely; make
> GFP_NOFS the same as GFP_KERNEL (and a later patch could rename all
> the uses of GFP_NOFS to GFP_KERNEL).  That is, the only way to prevent
> the memory allocator from entering fs reclaim would be by calling
> memalloc_nofs_save().
>
> XFS already calls memalloc_nofs_save() when starting a transaction.
> This is almost certainly the right thing to do; many things which
> could be freed through fs reclaim would need to start a transaction,
> and we don't want to do a nested transaction.  But it turns out there
> are several places that can't enter fs reclaim for other reasons.
>
> Having boldly just removed __GFP_FS, I encountered problems (ie
> lockdep got chatty) in XFS and now I don't think I know enough to
> take on the prerequisite project of removing KM_NOFS.  While this is
> obviously _possible_ (simply add calls to memalloc_nofs_save() and
> memalloc_nofs_restore() around calls currently marked as KM_NOFS),
> that's not really how the scoped API is supposed to be used.  Instead,
> one is supposed to improve the understandability of the code by marking
> the sections where, say, a lock is taken as now being unsafe to enter
> fs reclaim because that lock is held.
>
> The first one I got a bug report from was generic/270.  We take
> dqp->q_qlock in fs reclaim, and there are code paths which take
> dqp->q_qlock, then allocate memory.  There's a rather nasty extra
> step where we take the dqp->q_qlock, then wait on a workqueue which is
> going to call xlog_cil_push_work() which does the memory allocation.
> Lockdep spots this transitive dependency, but we don't know to transfer
> the nofs setting from the caller to the workqueue.
>
> OK, fine, just add the memalloc_nofs_save() at the beginning of
> xlog_cil_push_work() and restore it at the three exits; problem solved
> in a moderately hacky way; but it's better than before since the KM_NOFS
> calls are now safe to remove from the CIL machinery.  There are two ways
> to solve this properly; one is to transfer the nofs setting from caller
> to work queue, and also set the nofs setting whenever we take the dqlock.
> The other would be to trylock (and back out properly if held) if we're
> called in the reclaim path.  I don't know how hard that would be.
>
> Skipping the second and third ones, the fourth one I've encountered
> looks like this: xfs_buf_get_map() is allocating memory.  call path:
>
> kmem_alloc+0x6f/0x170
> xfs_buf_get_map+0x761/0x1140
> xfs_buf_read_map+0x38/0x250
> xfs_trans_read_buf_map+0x19c/0x520
> xfs_btree_read_buf_block.constprop.0+0x7a/0xb0
> [...]

5¢ reply: eventually we're going to have to wrap all of these
non-updating btree block accesses with an empty transaction to avoid
livelocking on cycles (intentional or otherwise).  That'll wrap
/everything/ in NOFS context, which will solve this problem at a cost of
more NOFS allocations...

> xfs_reflink_find_shared+0x67/0xa0
> xfs_reflink_trim_around_shared+0xd7/0x1a0
> xfs_bmap_trim_cow+0x3a/0x40
> xfs_buffered_write_iomap_begin+0x2ce/0xbf0
>
> That potentially deadlocks against
>
> -> #0 (&xfs_nondir_ilock_class#3){++++}-{3:3}:
>        __lock_acquire+0x148e/0x26d0
>        lock_acquire+0xb8/0x280
>        down_write_nested+0x3f/0xe0
>        xfs_ilock+0xe3/0x260
>        xfs_icwalk_ag+0x68c/0xa50
>        xfs_icwalk+0x3e/0xa0
>        xfs_reclaim_inodes_nr+0x7c/0xa0
>        xfs_fs_free_cached_objects+0x14/0x20
>        super_cache_scan+0x17d/0x1c0
>        do_shrink_slab+0x16a/0x680
>        shrink_slab+0x52a/0x8a0
>        shrink_node+0x308/0x7a0
>        balance_pgdat+0x28d/0x710
>
> Annoyingly, lockdep doesn't tell me which acquisition of
> fs_nondir_ilock_class#3 the first backtrace did.
>
> We could pop the nofs setting anywhere in this call chain, but _really_
> what we should be doing is calling memalloc_nofs_save() when we take
> the xfs_nondir_ilock_class#3.  But ... there are a lot of places we

...and since the ILOCK is taken after allocating a transaction, the
thread will already be in NOFS context.  No need to make the lock
debugging even more complicated...

> take the ilock, and it's kind of a big deal to add memalloc_nofs_save()
> calls to all of them.  And then I looked at _why_ we take the lock, and
> it's kind of stupid; we're just waiting for other callers to free it.
> ie xfs_reclaim_inode() does:
>
>        if (!xfs_ilock_nowait(ip, XFS_ILOCK_EXCL))
>                 goto out;
>         xfs_iunlock(ip, XFS_ILOCK_EXCL);
>         if (!radix_tree_delete(&pag->pag_ici_root,
>                                 XFS_INO_TO_AGINO(ip->i_mount, ino)))
>         xfs_ilock(ip, XFS_ILOCK_EXCL);
>
> ie we did the trylock, and it succeeded.  We know we don't have the
> lock in process context.  It feels like we could legitimately use
> xfs_lock_inumorder() to use a different locking class to do this wait.
>

> But all of this has shown me how complex this project is.  I have

...and wrapping everything in transactions isn't a simple project
either.  Every btree cursor allocation would now require the caller to
supply a transaction.  Worse are are things like xfs_bmapi_read that
lack the tp argument but can call xfs_iread_extents, and whatever mess
is going on in the dquot alloc paths.

I tried prototyping this and realized that it's more work than I thought
it would be. :/

--D