Re: Possible 6.5 regression: Huge values for "commited memory"

On Sun, Sep 10, 2023 at 07:48:23PM +0200, Christoph Biedl wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For the time being, just an observation: I monitor various parameters on
> my systems, and among them is "Committed memory", the Committed_AS value
> in /proc/meminfo.
>
> Since upgrading to the 6.5.x series, I noticed the value there grows way
> higher values then previously in hppa, even if the machine is idle.
> Values seem to rise up to around 1.6 Gbyte, long-term average is rather
> 200-300 Mbyte. Also, I cannot see any memory hogs in top. The workload
> hasn't changed in months.
>
> To sum it up, I reckon something went wrong in the memory usage
> accounting. Is this already on radar, or should I start bisecting? That
> might take a lot of time, though.

Thanks for the regression report. Michael had already bisected it [1], so
telling regzbot:

#regzbot ^introduced: 408579cd627a15
#regzbot title: huge committed memory due to returning 0 on do_vmi_align_mmunmap() success

[1]: https://lore.kernel.org/linux-parisc/30f16b4f-a2fa-fc42-fe6e-abad01c3f794@xxxxxxxxxxxxx/

--
An old man doll... just what I always wanted! - Clara