Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] HGM for hugetlbfs

On Tue, Jun 13, 2023 at 05:15:36PM +0200, David Hildenbrand wrote:
> Doing all the conversion in-place could turn out extremely painful and take
> much longer ... but I might be just taught otherwise.

IMHO we should start with the attempt of in-place conversion always, and we
should provide good reasonings to justify every single point of a change to
v1: either a design flaw that we must change, or when impossible to convert
without breaking v1.

The "pain" is already there.  IMHO any new v2 proposal should be able to
list out all the "pain"s (it'll be a vain if we "silently" carry over a
pain point, so a detailed summary of the problem along with reasonings to
change, what is the right things to do, can be half way already of the
whole effort..), and (2) justify the "pain"s are gone in the new design.

--
Peter Xu