Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] Cloud storage optimizations

On 3/5/23 03:22, Hannes Reinecke wrote:
My point being that zones are just there because the I/O stack can only deal with sectors up to 4k. If the I/O stack would be capable of dealing with larger LBAs one could identify a zone with an LBA, and the entire issue of append-only and sequential writes would be moot. Even the entire concept of zones becomes irrelevant as the OS would trivially only write entire zones.

That's not correct. Even if the block layer core would support logical block sizes of 1 GiB or higher, a logical block size of 16 KiB will yield better performance than logical block size = zone size. The write amplification factor (WAF) would be huge for databases if the logical block size would be much larger than the typical amount of data written during a database update (16 KiB?).

Bart.