Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] reducing direct map fragmentation

On Mon, Feb 20, 2023 at 02:43:03PM +0000, Hyeonggon Yoo wrote:

> > > I would like to discuss not only having cache layer of pages but also how
> > > direct map could be merged correctly and efficiently.
> > >
> > > I vaguely recall that Aaron Lu sent RFC series about this and Kirill A.
> > > Shutemov's feedback was to batch merge operations. [1]
> > >
> > > Also a CPA API called by the cache layer that could merge fragmented
> > > mappings would work for merging 4K pages to 2M [2], but won't work
> > > for merging 2M mappings to 1G mappings.
> >
> > One possible way is to make CPA scan all PMDs in 1G page after merging a 2M
> > page. Not sure how efficient would it be though.
>
> That seems to be similar to what Kirill A. Shutemov has been tried.
> He may have opinions about that?
>
> [3] https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20200416213229.19174-1-kirill.shutemov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Kirill's patch attempted to restore 1G page for each cpa_flush(), so it
scanned a lot of page tables without a guarantee that collapsing small
mappings to a large page is possible.

If we call a function that will collapse a 2M when we know for sure that
the collapse is possible, it will be more efficient.

--
Sincerely yours,
Mike.