[LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] VM Memory Overcommit

Hi,

This topic proposal would be to present and discuss multiple MM
features to improve host memory overcommit while running VMs. There
are two general cases:

1. The host and its guests operate independently,

2. The host and its guests cooperate by techniques like ballooning.

In the first case, we would discuss some new techniques, e.g., fast
access bit harvesting in the KVM MMU, and some difficulties, e.g.,
double zswapping.

In the second case, we would like to discuss a novel working set size
(WSS) notifier framework and some improvements to the ballooning
policy. The WSS notifier, when available, can report WSS to its
listeners. VM Memory Overcommit is one of its use cases: the
virtio-balloon driver can register for WSS notifications and relay WSS
to the host. The host can leverage the WSS notifications and improve
the ballooning policy.

This topic would be of interest to a wide range of audience, e.g.,
phones, laptops and servers.
Co-presented with Yuanchu Xie.

Thanks,

-T.J.