Re: question about memsw of memory cgroup-subsystem

On 04/16/2012 11:43 AM, gaoqiang wrote:
ÔÚ Fri, 13 Apr 2012 22:49:54 +0800£¬Michal Hocko <mhocko@xxxxxxx> дµÀ:

[CC linux-mm]

Hi,

On Fri 13-04-12 18:00:10, gaoqiang wrote:

I put a single process into a cgroup and set memory.limit_in_bytes
to 100M,and memory.memsw.limit_in_bytes to 1G.

howevery,the process was oom-killed before mem+swap hit 1G. I tried
many times,and it was killed randomly when memory+swap

exceed 100M but less than 1G. what is the matter ?

could you be more specific about your kernel version, workload and could
you provide us with GROUP/memory.stat snapshots taken during your test?

One reason for oom might be that you are hitting the hard limit (you
cannot get over even if memsw limit says more) and you cannot swap out
any pages (e.g. they are mlocked or under writeback).

many thanks.

The system is a vmware virtual machine,running centos6.2 with kernel 2.6.32-220.7.1.el6.x86_64.

the attachments are memory.stat, the test program and the /var/log/message of the oom.

the workload is nearly 0,with searal sshd and bash program running.

I just did the following command when testing:

./t
# this program will pause at the "getchar()" line and in another terminal,run :

cgclear
service cgconfig restart
mkdir /cgroup/memory/test
cd /cgroup/memory/test
echo 100m > memory.limit_in_bytes
echo 1G > memory.memsw.limit_in_bytes
echo 'pid' > tasks

# then continue the t command

Hi,

I run your test under RHEL6.1 with 2.6.32-220.7.1.el6.x86_64 (an internal version but no changes in mm/memcg) in a real server and the process is killed with memsw reaching 1G. Does your vmware virtual machine have enough swap space?.. I've no idea whether
the different behavior come from the physical/virtual environment.

Thanks,
Sha