Re: [External] [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] CXL Fabric Manager (FM) architecture

On Fri, 17 Feb 2023 10:31:15 -0800
"Viacheslav A.Dubeyko" <viacheslav.dubeyko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > On Feb 10, 2023, at 4:32 AM, Jonathan Cameron <Jonathan.Cameron@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> I had slightly more simplified image in my mind. :) We definitely need to have diagrams
> >> to clarify the vision. But which collaboration tool could we use to work publicly on diagrams?
> >> Any suggestion?
> >
> > Ascii art :)  To have a broad discussion it needs to be mailing list and that
> > is effectively only option.
> >

> I tried to prepare some diagram based on ascii art. :) It looks pretty terrible in email:
>
> ----------------------------         ------------------
> |  ---------       ------  |         |                |
> |  | Agent | <---> | FM |  |         |                |
> |  ---------       ------  |<------->|   CXL switch   |
> |            Host          |         |                |
> |                          |         |                |
> ----------------------------         —————————
other than wrong line type on the right looks fine to me ;)

> I think we need to use some online resource, anyway. We are discussing with Adam what we
> can do here.
>
> You introduced Orchestrator entity. I realized that I am not completely follow the responsibility
> of this subsystem. Do you imply some central point of management of multiple FM instances?

Absolutely - whether it's role is actually separate from the FM or not is an implementation
detail, but assumption is someone is placing the VMs etc that are using the CXL memory and
only that entity will have the knowledge of what memory to assign to which host to provide
that memory to the VMs.

> Something like a router that has knowledge base and can redirect the request to proper FM
> instance. Am I correct?

More than that.  The orchestrator would get a 'give me a VM with X normal DRAM and X CXL DRAM'
it would figure out where to put that VM across a set of systems and issue the commands
to the relevant FMs to 'make it so'.  So that's the entity that would query all the FMs
to understand what resources it is managing and then tell them what to do (possibly
via multiple layers of abstraction and sub orchestators etc).

> It sounds to me that orchestrator needs to implement some
> sub-API of FM. Or, maybe, it needs to parse REDFISH packets, for example, and only
> redirects the packets.

I'd expect individual hosts to most do what they are told to do, or maybe
ask nicely for more resources for a particular VM or application.  The hosts shouldn't
be responsible for allocating those resources, but should just be told where they
are.  That stuff might be in redfish or similar, but it's way above the level of
anything CXL specific.

Jonathan