Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] Using hardware counters to determine hot/cold pages

Hi Aneesh,

On Sun, 19 Feb 2023 19:59:47 +0530 "Aneesh Kumar K.V" <aneesh.kumar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> >> PowerPC architecture (POWER10) supports a Hot/Cold page tracking
> >> facility that provides access counter and access affinity details at
> >> configurable page size granularity [1]. I have been looking at using
> >> this counter in different areas of the kernel such as
> >>
> >> 1) Page reclaim/demotion
> >> 2) THP utilization
> >> 3) Page promotion.
> >>
> >> I have done some MGLRU integration and would like to discuss the
> >> observation with the rest of the community. It is still not clear what
> >> are the best ways to integrate these hardware counters in the Linux
> >> kernel.
> >
> > Sounds very interesting.  I think DAMON might be one another option, because it
> > is designed to be easy to extended with various source of access
> > information[1], and provides an abstraction layer for access temparature based
> > memory management[2], namely Data Access Monitoring-based Operation Schemes
> > (DAMOS).
> >
> >> Attached is the performance graph showing how the mongodb/ycsb
> >> benchmark performs when using hardware counters with MGLRU aging. An
> >> early RFC version of the code can be found at
> >> https://github.com/kvaneesh/linux/commit/b472e2c8080823bb4114c286270aea3e18ffe221
> >> . I also expect we can get some numbers w.r.t THP usage before the
> >> conference.
> >
> > I also have experimented a DAMON-based THP optimization[3], which shown
> > interesting results.
> >
> > Hope to discuss about this with you at LSF/MM.  FYI, I also proposed an LSF/MM
> > topic for DAMON[4].
> >
> > [1] https://docs.kernel.org/mm/damon/design.html#configurable-layers
> > [2] https://docs.kernel.org/mm/damon/api.html#c.damos
> > [3] https://www.amazon.science/publications/daos-data-access-aware-operating-system
> > [4] https://lore.kernel.org/damon/20230214003328.55285-1-sj@xxxxxxxxxx/
> >

> The hardware counters that are supported in the case of POWER10 are
> based on physical addresses. The hardware facility will count the access
> across a physical address range and there is a counter for each page
> that gives the access count and also information about which node did
> access the page.
>
> I haven't spent much time studying DAMON so I might be wrong here. The
> reason I avoided using DAMON for the POC was because my goal was to
> evaluate how the hardware counters measured against the pte reference
> bit and I was not sure I could evaluate that using the DAMON action
> facility.
>
> I do agree that we could add a layer similar to DAMON_PADDR and expose
> the details to userspace. But I was not sure we can take action based on
> that. In most cases what I wanted was to move the coldest page in the
> Numa node to swap. So that is relative hotness rather than moving a page
> that got a hotness value less than 10 to swap even though we can figure
> out a way to make the latter similar to the former.

I think you could use DAMOS quota[1].  Under the quota, DAMOS prioritizes
regions based on the access pattern, and applies the action to higher-priority
regions, so you can do relative coldness-based reclamation, like DAMON_RECLAIM
does[2].

The interface might not very efficient for your specific case, though.  I want
to know such cases and improve the interface or implement new features.

[1] https://docs.kernel.org/mm/damon/api.html#c.damos_quota
[2] https://docs.kernel.org/admin-guide/mm/damon/reclaim.html#quota-sz

> I will look at DAMON and see if that is the best framework for things
> like this.

Great, please feel free to reach out to me if you have any question or need
help.

Thanks,
SJ