Re: Folio mapcount

On Tue, Feb 07, 2023 at 11:23:31AM -0500, Zi Yan wrote:
> On 24 Jan 2023, at 13:13, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
>
> > Once we get to the part of the folio journey where we have
> > one-pointer-per-page, we can't afford to maintain per-page state.
> > Currently we maintain a per-page mapcount, and that will have to go.
> > We can maintain extra state for a multi-page folio, but it has to be a
> > constant amount of extra state no matter how many pages are in the folio.
> >
> > My proposal is that we maintain a single mapcount per folio, and its
> > definition is the number of (vma, page table) tuples which have a
> > reference to any pages in this folio.
>
> How about having two, full_folio_mapcount and partial_folio_mapcount?
> If partial_folio_mapcount is 0, we can have a fast path without doing
> anything at page level.

A fast path for what?  I don't understand your vision; can you spell it
out for me?  My current proposal is here:

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/Y+FkV4fBxHlp6FTH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/

The three questions we need to be able to answer (in my current
understanding) are laid out here:

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/Y+HblAN5bM1uYD2f@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/

Of course, the vision also needs to include how we account in
folio_add_(anon|file|new_anon)_rmap() and folio_remove_rmap().