Re: A mapcount riddle

On Thu 26-01-23 09:51:12, Mike Kravetz wrote:
> On 01/26/23 10:16, Michal Hocko wrote:

> > > Nothing obvious.  It is just that the semantics seem to be that you can
> > > only move shared pages if you have CAP_SYS_NICE.
> >
> > Correct
> >
> > > Certainly cooperation
> > > is implied for shared PMDs, but I would guess that most applications are
> > > not even aware they are sharing PMDs.
> >
> > How come? They have to explicitly map those hugetlb pages to the same
> > address. Or is it common that the mapping just lands there by accident?
>
> Mapping to the same address is not required for PMD sharing.  What is
> required is that the alignment of PUD_SIZE offsets within the mapped object
> (file) are mapped to PUD_SIZE aligned virtual addresses.  That may not be
> clear as it is difficult to describe.  Bottom like is that addresses do not
> need to match.

Hmm, my bad then. I thought that is a strict requirement. But looking at
the code page_table_shareable talks about pmd_index indeed. I must have
misremember.

I do agree that it is much simpler to hit into page table sharing for
large mappings unintentionally - especially if they are GB aligned which
is not really that unexpected.
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs