Re: [QUESTION] Linux memory model: control dependency with bitfield

On Wed, Jan 11, 2023 at 4:15 PM Paul E. McKenney <paulmck@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 11, 2023 at 04:01:34PM -0800, Yang Shi wrote:

> > > If the various calls to test_bit() and clear_bit() are to the same
> > > location, then they will not be reordered with each other.
> > >
> > > If they are to different locations, they can be reordered.  But in that
> > > case, they would not see each others' results anyway.
> >
> > Yeah, make sense.

> > > Just so you know, smp_load_acquire() does a load and smp_store_release()
> > > does a store.
> > >
> > > Also, is this code executed by a single CPU/task?  If so, you need to
> > > also consider the corresponding code executed by some other CPU/task.
> >
> > The code could be executed by multiple tasks in parallel.
>
> It is hard for me to tell you what to write without more information
> about what you do and do not want to happen, but here is one possibility:
>
> clear_bit(5, &my_bits);
> if (test_bit_acquire(5, &my_bits)) {
>         r1 = READ_ONCE(a);
>         WRITE_ONCE(b, 1729);
>         r2 = READ_ONCE(c);
>         WRITE_ONCE(d, 65535);
> }
>
> This is of course a bit nonsensical because something somewhere would
> need to set bit 5 in my_bits for the body of the "if" statement to ever
> be executed.  I am assuming that this happens somewhere else.
>
> The clear_bit() would be ordered before the test_bit_acquire() due to
> their both accessing the same location.  The test_bit_acquire() would
> be orderd before the body of that "if" statement due to the _acquire()
> suffix.
>
> Is that what you are looking for?  If not, what are you looking for?

Sorry for the late reply. I think the _acquire() should be something
I'm looking for. I just figured out a stable reproducer for my
problem, so I will collect more debug information and try some debug
patch with _acquire(). Hopefully I could get more clear picture next
week.

Thanks a lot.