Re: Fwd: Control page reclaim granularity

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 01:38:56PM +0530, Kautuk Consul wrote:

> > I agree, but that's not my point.
> >
> > All I'm saying is that we probably don't want to give normal
> > unprivileged usermode apps
> > the capability to set the mapping to AS_UNEVICTABLE as anyone can then
> > write an application
> > that hogs memory without allowing the kernel to free it through memory reclaim.

Yes, I think so.  But it seems that there has some codes that are
possible to be abused.  For example, as I said previously, applications
can mmap a normal data file with PROT_EXEC flag.  Then this file gets a
high priority to keep in memory (commit: 8cab4754).  So my point is that
we cannot control applications how to use these mechanisms.  We just
provide them and let applications to choose how to use them.
:-)

Regards,
Zheng