Re: The root cause of failure of access_tracking_perf_test in a nested guest

On Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 12:25:00PM -0700, Jim Mattson wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 3:16 AM Maxim Levitsky <mlevitsk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Because of this, when the guest clears the accessed bit in its nested EPT entries, KVM doesn't
> > notice/intercept it and corresponding EPT sptes remain the same, thus later the guest access to
> > the memory is not intercepted and because of this doesn't turn back
> > the accessed bit in the guest EPT tables.
>
> Does the guest execute an INVEPT after clearing the accessed bit?

No, that's the problem. In L1, access_tracking_perf_test is using
page_idle to mark guest memory as idle, which results in clear_young()
notifiers being sent to KVM clear access bits. clear_young() is
explicitly allowed to omit flushes, so KVM happily obliges.

	/*
	 * clear_young is a lightweight version of clear_flush_young. Like the
	 * latter, it is supposed to test-and-clear the young/accessed bitflag
	 * in the secondary pte, but it may omit flushing the secondary tlb.
	 */
	int (*clear_young)(struct mmu_notifier *subscription,
			   struct mm_struct *mm,
			   unsigned long start,
			   unsigned long end);

We could modify page_idle so that KVM performs TLB flushes. For example,
add a mechanism for userspace to trigger a TLB flush. Or change
page_idle to use clear_flush_young() (although that would be incredibly
expensive since page_idle only allows clearing one pfn at a time). But
I'm not sure creating a new userspace API just for this test is really
worth it, especially with multigen LRU coming soon.