Re: [patch] mm, oom: allow exiting tasks to have access to memory reserves

On Wed, 7 Mar 2012, KOSAKI Motohiro wrote:

> As far as I remembered, this idea was sometimes NAKed and you don't bring new
> idea here.

Nope, all patches I've ever proposed for the oom killer have been merged
in some form or another.

> When exiting a process which have plenty threads, this patch allow to eat all
> of reserve memory
> and bring us new serious failure.

It closes the risk of livelock if an oom killed thread, thread A, cannot
exit because it's blocked on another thread, thread B, which cannot exit
because it requires memory in the exit path and doesn't have access to
memory reserves.  So this patch makes it more likely that an oom killed
thread will be able to exit without livelocking.

You do remind me that we can remove this logic from select_bad_process(),
however, as a cleanup which results in more lines being removed than
added.  I'll reply with a v2.

Thanks!