Re: [ATTEND] [LSF/MM TOPIC] Buffered writes throttling

On Mon, Mar 05, 2012 at 03:51:32PM -0800, Fengguang Wu wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 06, 2012 at 12:19:30AM +0100, Andrea Righi wrote:
> > >
> > > Good point. balance_dirty_pages() has no idea about the devices at
> > > all. So the rate limit for buffered writes can hardly be unified with
> > > the per-device rate limit for direct writes.
> > >

> > I think balance_dirty_pages() can have an idea about devices. We can get
> > a reference to the right block device / request queue from the
> > address_space:
> >
> >   bdev = mapping->host->i_sb->s_bdev;
> >   q = bdev_get_queue(bdev);
> >
> > (NULL pointer dereferences apart).
>
> Problem is, there is no general 1:1 mapping between bdev and disks.
> For the single disk multpile partitions (sda1, sda2...) case, the
> above scheme is fine and makes the throttle happen at sda granularity.
>
> However for md/dm etc. there is no way (or need?) to reach the exact
> disk that current blkcg is operating on.
>
> Thanks,
> Fengguang

Oh I see, the problem is with stacked block devices. Right, if we set a
limit for sda and a stacked block device is defined over sda, we'd get
only the bdev at the top of the stack at balance_dirty_pages() and the
limits configured for the underlying block devices will be ignored.

However, maybe for the 90% of the cases this is fine, I can't see a real
world scenario where we may want to limit only part or indirectly a
stacked block device...

Thanks,
-Andrea