Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] [ATTEND] memcg: soft limit reclaim (continue) and others

On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 16:00:44 -0800
Ying Han <yinghan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 8:54 PM, KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki
> <kamezawa.hiroyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 11:59:40 -0800
> > Ying Han <yinghan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> some topics that I would like to discuss this year:
> >>
> >> 1) we talked about soft limit redesign during last LSF, and there are
> >> quite a lot of efforts and changes being pushed after that. I would
> >> like to take this time to sync-up our efforts and also discuss some of
> >> the remaining issues.
> >>
> >> Discussion from last year :
> >> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-mm/msg17102.html and lots of
> >> changes have been made since then.
> >>

> > Yes, it seems re-sync is required.
> >
> >> 2) memory.stat, this is the main stat file for all memcg statistics.
> >> are we planning to keep stuff it for something like per-memcg
> >> vmscan_stat, vmstat or not.
> >>

> > Could you calrify ? Do you want to have another stat file like memory.vmstat ?
>
> I was planning to add per-memcg vmstat file at one point, but there
> were discussions of just extending memory.stat. I don't mind to have
> very long memory.stat file since my screen is now vertical anyway.
> Just want to sync-up our final decision for later patches.
>

> >> 3) root cgroup now becomes quite interesting, especially after we
> >> bring back the exclusive lru to root. To be more specific, root cgroup
> >> now is like a sink which contains pages allocated on its own, and also
> >> pages being re-parented. Those pages won't be reclaimed until there is
> >> a global pressure, and we want to see anything we can do better.
> >>

> > I'm sorry I can't get your point.
> >
> > Do you think it's better to shrink root mem cgroup LRU even if there are
> > no memory pressure ?
>
> The benefit will be reduced memory reclaim latency.
>
> That is something I am thinking now. Now what we do in removing a
> cgroup is re-parent all the pages, and root become a sink with all the
> left-over pages. There is no external memory pressure to push those
> pages out unless global reclaim, and the machine size will look
> smaller and smaller on admin perspective.
>
> I am thinking to use some existing reclaim mechanism to apply pressure
> on those pages inside the kernel.

I considered your re-parent problem a bit...my suggestion is..

How about using cleancache other than re-parent ?

Assume a memcg X contains 100M Bytes of file caches.

# rmdir X
  => puts all file caches to cleancache, by reclaiming all pages.
     Here, memcg's charge will disappear. and clean cache will have 100MB cache.

If a file cache will be accessed again, it will be re-charged to proper cgroup.
If a file cache won't be accessed soon, it will be dropped from the system.

Furthermore, we may be able to add control knobs
  - re-parent all file caches     (current implemenation)
  - drop all file caches at rmdir
  - drop all file caches to cleancache.

Size of clean cache may be a problem even if it's configurable..

I don't have good idea for ANON pages but I think there are no big problem with
re-parenting them..

Thanks,
-Kame