Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] [ATTEND] mm track: RAM utilization and page replacement topics

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012, Dan Magenheimer wrote:
> Some (related) topics proposed for the MM track:
>
> 1) Optimizing the utilization of RAM as a resource, i.e. how do we teach the
>    kernel to NOT use all RAM when it doesn't really "need" it.  See
>    http://lwn.net/Articles/475681/ (or if you don't want to read the whole
>    article, start with "Interestingly, ..." four paragraphs from the end).
>
> 2) RAMster now exists and works... where are the holes and what next?
>    http://marc.info/?l=linux-mm&m=132768187222840&w=2
>
> 3) Next steps in the page replacement algorithm:
> 	a) WasActive https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/1/25/300
> 	b) readahead http://marc.info/?l=linux-scsi&m=132750980203130
>
> 4) Remaining impediments for merging frontswap
>
> 5) Page flags and 64-bit-only... what are the tradeoffs?

Yes, this last one is something I want to discuss too.  If page_cgroup
hadn't grown so small, I'd be suggesting to squeeze some more flag bits
(or better, the node/zone info) into the 32-bit struct page lru pointers.

But with page_cgroup now ready to fit into the 64-bit struct page (which
contains an empty field from SLUB's alignment demands), it might - might -
be time to enlarge the 32-bit struct page slightly.

Hugh