Re: [RFC bpf-next] Hierarchical Cgroup Stats Collection Using BPF

On Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 11:09 AM Yonghong Song <yhs@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi, Yosry, I heard this was discussed in bpf office hour which I
> didn't attend. Could you summarize the conclusion and what is the
> step forward? We also have an internal tool which collects cgroup
> stats and this might help us as well. Thanks!

Hi Yonghong,

Yosry is out of office this entire week. I don't know whether he has
access to corp email account, so please allow me to reply on his
behalf.

So instead of using rstat in bpf (by providing a map interface), it's
better to leverage the flexibility provided by bpf to extend rstat.
"We can achieve a similar outcome with a less intrusive design." Yosry
"will look at programs providing their own aggregators and maintaining
their own stats, and only making callbacks to/from rstat." As the next
step, Yosry is going to work on an RFC patchset to drive the
discussion, when he is back.

It's great to see that this is helpful to you as well! I am looking
forward to collaboration if there is a need.

Hao