Re: [linux-next:master 70/7526] undefined reference to `__trace_hardirqs_off'

Hi Arnd,

On Thu, Feb 24, 2022 at 09:38:30AM +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 24, 2022 at 4:40 AM Steven Rostedt <rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Yes, it appears to be about that time...
> >
> > Hi Arnd,
> >
> > Just putting this on your "chopping block" radar.
>
> Yes, that makes sense. I think nds32 was always going to be a
> short-lived architecture as Andestech was already in the process of
> moving to RISC-V before it was ever submitted upstream. I did
> hope that it would live a little longer, but it seems that everyone who
> ever worked on it in mainline has left andestech by now.
>
> I'm guessing Nick's current email address based on his Linkedin page,
> maybe he can contact someone who is still there and able to
> take over.

I am in charge of this now.

> I think nds32 is still in a better shape than a lot of the older
> architectures in mainline, and the CPU cores are still actively
> marketed for licensing. OTOH it only gets worse if nobody cares
> about the code, and users are probably already better off with
> one of the older longterm supported kernels. If we remove
> arch/nds32 before the next longterm release, that gives users
> stable updates until late 2026 using linux-5.10.y, which is
> probably sufficient.
>
>         Arnd

All of our nds32 customers maintain their own kernel derived from
previous LTS versions.  Also, we (as the Linux team in Andes) now
dedicate our whole effort to RISC-V, so there is no longer need
to maintain arch/nds32.

We really appreciate your guidance and support.  Many thanks to
the community as well.

Alan