Re: slabinfo shows incorrect active_objs ???

> On Feb 22, 2022, at 4:10 AM, Vasily Averin <vvs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On 22.02.2022 13:23, Hyeonggon Yoo wrote:
>>> On Tue, Feb 22, 2022 at 12:22:02PM +0300, Vasily Averin wrote:
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I've found that /proc/slabinfo shows inadequate numbers of in-use slab objects.
>>> it assumes that all objects stored in cpu caches are always 100% in use.
>
>>> Is it a bug or perhaps a well-known feature that I missed?
>> This is not a bug..
>
> Thank you for explanation,
> I think it would be useful to document this somewhere. (Documnetation? man slabinfo ?)
> Also I would like to know is it some (fast) way to get real numbers in userspace ?
> crash is too fat for this task.
> Do you know perhaps some other userspace utility or may be systemtap/drgn script?

Btw, implementing fast slab counters independent from the sl*b implementation and the physical layout of data might be an interesting idea.
Currently /proc/slabinfo is often confusing because of the slab merging. It’s particularly true when someone tries to compare memory usage on two different kernel versions, for example: the set of slab caches might look very different depending on subtle changes in object sizes and the caches merging outcome.