Re: Android low memory killer vs. memory pressure notifications

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011, Michal Hocko wrote:

> page_cgroup is 16B per page and with the current Johannes' memcg
> naturalization work (in the mmotm tree) we are down to 8B per page (we
> got rid of lru). Kamezawa has some patches to get rid of the flags so we
> will be down to 4B per page on 32b. Is this still too much?
> I would be really careful about a yet another lowmem notification
> mechanism.

There was always general interest in a low memory notification mechanism
even prior to memcg, see http://lwn.net/Articles/268732/ from Marcelo and
KOSAKI-san.  The desire is not only to avoid the metadata overhead of
memcg, but also to avoid cgroups entirely.