Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] Tiered memory accounting and management

On 6/17/21 11:48 AM, Shakeel Butt wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> 1.      Per NUMA node limit and accounting for each cgroup.
>>> We can assign higher limits on better performing memory node for higher priority cgroups.
>>>
>>> There are some loose ends here that warrant further discussions:
>>> (1) A user friendly interface for such limits.  Will a proportional
>>> weight for the cgroup that translate to actual absolute limit be more suitable?
>>> (2) Memory mis-configurations can occur more easily as the admin
>>> has a much larger number of limits spread among between the
>>> cgroups to manage.  Over-restrictive limits can lead to under utilized
>>> and wasted memory and hurt performance.
>>> (3) OOM behavior when a cgroup hits its limit.
>>>

> This (numa based limits) is something I was pushing for but after
> discussing this internally with userspace controller devs, I have to
> backoff from this position.
>
> The main feedback I got was that setting one memory limit is already
> complicated and having to set/adjust these many limits would be
> horrifying.
>
>>> 2.      Per memory tier limit and accounting for each cgroup.
>>> We can assign higher limits on memories in better performing
>>> memory tier for higher priority cgroups.  I previously
>>> prototyped a soft limit based implementation to demonstrate the
>>> tiered limit idea.
>>>
>>> There are also a number of issues here:
>>> (1)     The advantage is we have fewer limits to deal with simplifying
>>> configuration. However, there are doubts raised by a number
>>> of people on whether we can really properly classify the NUMA
>>> nodes into memory tiers. There could still be significant performance
>>> differences between NUMA nodes even for the same kind of memory.
>>> We will also not have the fine-grained control and flexibility that comes
>>> with a per NUMA node limit.
>>> (2)     Will a memory hierarchy defined by promotion/demotion relationship between
>>> memory nodes be a viable approach for defining memory tiers?
>>>
>>> These issues related to  the management of systems with multiple kind of memories
>>> can be ironed out in this session.
>>
>> Thanks for suggesting this topic. I'm interested in the topic and
>> would like to attend.
>>
>> Other than the above points. I'm wondering whether we shall discuss
>> "Migrate Pages in lieu of discard" as well? Dave Hansen is driving the
>> development and I have been involved in the early development and
>> review, but it seems there are still some open questions according to
>> the latest review feedback.
>>
>> Some other folks may be interested in this topic either, CC'ed them in
>> the thread.
>>

> At the moment "personally" I am more inclined towards a passive
> approach towards the memcg accounting of memory tiers. By that I mean,
> let's start by providing a 'usage' interface and get more
> production/real-world data to motivate the 'limit' interfaces. (One
> minor reason is that defining the 'limit' interface will force us to
> make the decision on defining tiers i.e. numa or a set of numa or

Probably we could first start with accounting the memory used in each
NUMA node for a cgroup and exposing this information to user space.
I think that is useful regardless.

There is still a question of whether we want to define a set of
numa node or tier and extend the accounting and management at that
memory tier abstraction level.

> IMHO we should focus more on the "aging" of the application memory and
> "migration/balance" between the tiers. I don't think the memory
> reclaim infrastructure is the right place for these operations
> (unevictable pages are ignored and not accurate ages). What we need is
> proactive continuous aging and balancing. We need something like, with
> additions, Multi-gen LRUs or DAMON or page idle tracking for aging and
> a new mechanism for balancing which takes ages into account.

Multi-gen LRUs will be pretty useful to expose the page warmth in a NUMA
node and to target the right page to reclaim for a memcg. We will also need some
way to determine how many pages to target in each memcg for a reclaim.

> To give a more concrete example: Let's say we have a system with two
> memory tiers and multiple low and high priority jobs. For high
> priority jobs, set the allocation try list from high to low tier and
> for low priority jobs the reverse of that (I am not sure if we can do
> that out of the box with today's kernel). In the background we migrate
> cold memory down the tiers and hot memory in the reverse direction.
>
> In this background mechanism we can enforce all different limiting
> policies like Yang's original high and low tier percentage or
> something like X% of accesses of high priority jobs should be from
> high tier.

If I understand what you are saying is you desire the kernel to provide
the interface to expose performance information like
"X% of accesses of high priority jobs is from high tier",
and knobs for user space to tell kernel to re-balance pages on
a per job class (or cgroup) basis based on this information.
The page re-balancing will be initiated by user space rather than
by the kernel, similar to what Wei proposed.

> Basically I am saying until we find from production data
> that this background mechanism is not strong enough to enforce passive
> limits, we should delay the decision on limit interfaces.

Implementing hard limit does have a number of rough edges
on a per node basis.  Probably we should first start with doing the
proper accounting and exposing the right performance information.

Tim