Re: [patch 48/91] kernel/crash_core: add crashkernel=auto for vmcore creation

On 05/10/21 at 01:56pm, David Hildenbrand wrote:
> On 10.05.21 13:44, Dave Young wrote:
> > Hi David,
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> > On 05/10/21 at 01:01pm, David Hildenbrand wrote:
> > [snip]
> > > It also bugged me for quite a bit that we don't have a sane way to achieve
> > > what we're doing here upstream. It somewhat feels like "this doesn't belong
> > > in the kernel and is user policy" but then, the existing kernel support is
> > > suboptimal.
> > >
> > > Maybe reserving some "maybe too big but okayish to boot the system in a sane
> > > environment -- e.g., X% of system RAM and at least Y" size first and
> > > shrinking it later as triggered by user space early (where we do seem to
> > > have a way to pre-calculate things now) might actually be a good direction
> > > to look into.
> >
> > Hmm, that is also an option we considered before.  Even for your
> > suggestion we still need a kernel option to set the default ratio/value.
> > and the ratio/value should be another patch which expands crashkernel
> > syntax.
>
> Right.
>

> > Actually the kconfig help text in this patch is indeed misleading, it is
> > not introducing crashkernel=a:b... and no need to explain about the
> > crashkernel syntax, the config option is actually just some interface we
> > can add any valid crashkernel settings to be used by default. So current
> > patch help text describes the default value of crash auto str, instead
> > of describes what crash auto str is.
>
> Right. And I would much rather prefer either
>
> a) handling "auto" completely in the kernel, not just setting some
> questionable default at compile time

Thanks for the suggestions.

If the way adding default value into kernel config is disliked,
this a) option looks good. We can get value with x% of system RAM, but
clamp it with CRASH_KERNEL_MIN/MAX. The CRASH_KERNEL_MIN/MAX may need be
defined with a default value for different ARCHes. It's very close to
our current implementation, and handling 'auto' in kernel.

And kernel config provided so that people can tune the MIN/MAX value,
but no need to post patch to do the tuning each time if have to?