Re: [RFD] Isolated memory cgroups again

On Thursday, October 20, 2011, KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki <kamezawa.hiroyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 19:45:55 -0700
> Michal Hocko <mhocko@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Thu 20-10-11 16:41:27, Ying Han wrote:
>> [...]
>> > Hi Michal:
>>
>> Hi,
>>

>> > I didn't read through the patch itself but only the description. If we
>> > wanna protect a memcg being reclaimed from under global memory
>> > pressure, I think we can approach it by making change on soft_limit
>> > reclaim.
>> >
>> > I have a soft_limit change built on top of Johannes's patchset, which
>> > does basically soft_limit aware reclaim under global memory pressure.
>>
>> Is there any link to the patch(es)? I would be interested to look at
>> it before we discuss it.
>>

> I'd like to see it, too.
>
> Thanks,
> -Kame

Now I am at airport heading to Prague , I will try to post one before the meeting if possible. The current patch is simple enough which most of the work are reverting the existing soft limit implementation and then the new logic is based on the memcg aware global reclaim.

The logic is based on reclaim priority, and we skip reclaim from certain memcg(under soft limit) before getting down to DEF_PRIORITY - 3. This is simple enough to get us start collecting some data result and I am looking forward to discuss more thoughts in the meeting

--ying